www.MuntedPancreas.com Forum Index www.MuntedPancreas.com
A place for parents and associates to discuss, learn, share and laugh about caring for children with Diabetes.
Please email Bill with any queries.

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Lowest BGL ever

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.MuntedPancreas.com Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MissCreant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Lowest BGL ever Reply with quote

We had a terrible scare last night with my son recording a BGL of 1.0!

This was after his evening meal (Chicken Korma & Basmati Rice!)..however he had a school swimming carnival during the day, and had a swim after his meal. As you can imagine he was quite unstable..but I eventually got his BGL back up to 5.1, then with toast and milo up to 9.2.

I even retested him early this morning between 2.30am and 3.00am..all OK.

He's gone to school today..but is quite emotional.

Has anyone's child been down this low? I checked the accuchek site and it said the meter will read down to 0.6.

MC
Millie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, our lowest was 1.2. We do find during football season he goes very high by half time but can crash not long after the game. This makes life interesting as the other kids all have half time lollies, Zac has a test and water. Later he will crash down if we are not careful. Millie
Trex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Millie wrote:
Hi, our lowest was 1.2. We do find during football season he goes very high by half time but can crash not long after the game. This makes life interesting as the other kids all have half time lollies, Zac has a test and water. Later he will crash down if we are not careful. Millie

There is an old discusssion on here on managaing just such scenarios and how to limit the problems that can occur. Try this one There were a couple along similar lines.

Once worked out a small quick carb fix at 1/4 and half time becomes the go, lows some hours, 2-6, after the game can become easier to control.
Bill(OB)
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claire's lowest was "LO" on a meter that read down to 0.8. Curiously, she was still conscious and responsive, if a bit on the slow side. That time she came up no problems.

We have had occasions where she was about 2.bugger all, and we could not shift her BGLs up for hours, which was a bit scary, although also very funny as Claire can often end up as a "happy drunk" when hypo.

At a one way street; faith looks one way, wisdom both.
Isobel (k's mum)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K has experienced readings of "LO" (ie below 0.8 or 0.6) in the past - but not in the last couple of years. She has never had a "serious" hypo - even with the "LO" readings, she was able to walk and talk...

K usually catches hypos above 3.0. It's pretty unusual for her to get down to 2-point-something; and readings of 1-point-something are very rare for her.
mels

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: I thought 1.6 was low Reply with quote

My son was 1.6 after an afternoon of shopping, curiously he had no ill feelings, no headache, was not shaky just his normal self. It scard the hell out of me. If he could not tell me he was low at that level how will I know if he is lower!
LyndseysMum

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all very scary. Our daughter has had a LO reading on both hands and was only suffering mild hypo symptoms.

We had a 1.2 once where she was staggering and slurring her words but was treatable.

We have had a 1.8 where she was completely unresponsive and required the Glucagon.

We have also had a siezure when she was 3.0.

No rhyme nor reason...
Tuataragirl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr 10 has had a 1.2 and he was telling me at the the time - I really think I need a test Mum cos I'm feeling like I'm having a low (he can usually tell when he falls below about 4.3 - weird). Anyway he was quite lucid and chatty but just had the usual shaky leags and hands.
MissCreant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
Thanks for your replies everyone..it does reassure me a little.

I have since found out that Mr J did not test himself at all during that day. He told me he couldn't tell what the time was :sigh:..........and to top it off - did not eat his own lunch, as the seniors were giving out lollies!!!!! (oh dear!).
Obviously any 12 y.o. would eat free lollies over a vegemite sandwich!

I also had to collect him from school early yesterday as he 'felt funny'. Then I found out he had a 3.5 bgl at 9.50 (I was rung at 2.15)...again checked his lunch box - did not eat his food again!! soooooo frustrating!

So had to have "the talk" again..we'll see how he goes today..at this rate he'll never be stable enough to change over to Lantus.

MC
Ps it's like that saying: I'm looking for the light at the end of the tunnel and praying like hell, it isn't a train.
jjules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked interesting to see its not just us that have no 'magic' number. our lowest read was a 1.7. we were preparing for christmas, a hot day and he ate very little. i think he was on protaphane at that point. he just seemed a little drowsy. i never wouldve picked it by the way he was behaving. Weve had a 3.7 that we had to call an ambulance for and a 2.3 with mild seizure Sad as he gets older im getting better at reading his signals. hes pretty irritable as hes heading down around 4.0.
S

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ally has been down to 1.2 and tested and treated herself. She was perfectly fine. And then she's been 3 while having a seizure.

MC: I love that saying!
AnnaM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got no basis but personal experience and observation for this, but it seems children handle lower readings much better than adults do. My daughter's so far has been 2.2 at its lowest. She was still the same as normal, I think recognition of lows is still a work in progress for her. I've myself just recently had my first LO that I can recall, and with a retest was 1.9. This was on an optium meter. I can't recall their lowest. I've passed out a few times, only in adulthood though, and once in hospital had the MET team called when I was 1.8 and they couldn't rouse me. I was in lala land even when I came to. it seems there's not much accuracy in readings and the effects felt of the hypo. I know I've felt very lightheaded at 4.5 and then been symptomless at 2.5.
Victoria.BC

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Scary Hypo Reply with quote

Last night we had a big scare. We still do 2.am checks (As she was diagnosed late January 2011). I was a few minutes early and stepped quietly in to her room to get the test strip out ready to go. L sat up bolt upright exclaiming “I’m low!” eyes wide open and not really engaging with me. Panic set in I talked to her and did her test (2.3) and started to get her to drink some lemonade, rather than eat Jelly beans. She took most of this but it was not working fast enough and she was starting to convulse!
We have the Glucogon but I had initially felt that as she was ‘awake’ I would try the lemonade. Anyway we were in a state of panic and while persevering with encouraging her to drink, I left my husband to keep an eye and I phoned for an ambulance. Felt really stupid as she started to come back to us but relieved.
My question is has anyone else kept their child off school after a bad hypo at night?
Bill(OB)
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, sure have.

Bloody scary ain't it those night time hypos where the poor little bugger's brain isn't working too well.

I am sure the ambos didn't mind BTW, always better to be sure than sorry.

As a bit of an aside, although my baby has now grown up, we have never kept glucagon (sp). We live in town so know that the ambos aren't far away. As it turns out, in the 17 years that Claire lived at home with diabetes (she is now in Melbourne flying solo) we never had occasion to call the ambos - though we had a few scary events, and, it has to be said, some bloody funny ones as well.

...I'll stop rambling now.

At a one way street; faith looks one way, wisdom both.
Victoria.BC

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill, yes it was really scary because of her incoherent babble and convulsions. As you say when their brains aren't working very well it is scary. I think we were in shock after the event!

This was her first bad night time hypo and I hope that is it for a long time!

As an aside, it is great to have the opportunity to check in with others who are in the same boat!
Victoria
SA_MUM

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First time time to this site and i must say reading these comments is making the "unknown" level a little scary eek!

My 2yo Daughter was diagnosed on the 8th Jan 2011 (22mths at the time), and she gives very little to no indication that she is low. I think the lowest so far has been 2.3 and i've been curious as to what the magic number could be that brings those nightmares into reality. And getting a very sleepy 2yo to eat or drink anything is almost impossible.
Isobel (k's mum)

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SA_MUM - and others - just to alleviate your fears a little bit: as indicated in my signature line, my daughter K has had diabetes since she was 13. She's now 20. As I mentioned a lot earlier in this thread, her lowest hypo was measured as "Lo" on her meter (this has happened a few times) and she has also had a few readings over the years below 2 - but she has never lost consciousness due to a hypo, we have never needed to use glucagon (aka the orange box) and she has never had the babbling incoherentness or convulsions that people are talking about here. It might happen - or it might not.
natken03

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are all freaking me out. LOL Convulsions at 3.0 ?!?! WOW
Amelia has had some low leveles lowest being 1.2 and she tells me her legs are shaky and she feels funny. I was terrified of handling her first illness which saw us in hospital for 2 weeks but now I have experienced it I will be alot calmer. I think I am more scared of using the gluagon injection. I hope hubby is has the presence of mind if we need to use it *touches wood* It is really tough to get a 5yo to eat jb's at 2am let alone finish a cup of milk. I have also kept amelia home after a rough night.
and Grace 18mths (non D)
Stumpymum

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh (Cool had his lowest reading (1.7) about 30 mins after finishing dinner - we were making our way to a friends house for a NYE party - and he said "Mum I feel wierd" - but as we were late (& he had just eaten a good dinner so "it couldn't possibly be D related"), I just said - "Ok - you'll be fine in a minute - lets just get there" - about a minute later as we walked up the party drive way he started babbling & I caught him just as his legs gave way (there goes my Parent of the year award!!Whoops!) we treated him with juice, and the usual muslie bar & he came up slowly.for the next 2 hours - he kept saying he just wanted to sit - so sit we did. Then all of a sudden he said he wanted to play in the pool with the other 20 kids at the party. - so I got very wet - standing VERY close to the pool with all the usual D rescue stuff....but he was fine Smile A very sober NYE - but a very smiley one. Nothing better than seeing your child playing normally after a scarey D incident Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.MuntedPancreas.com Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: